Our intimate knowledge of Africa's
natural environment and dedication to conservation and the understanding of the involvement of local communities in Tourism activities, led us to the creation of a special brand of
Educational & Field Study Programs
focused on Ecotourism.
The Field Study Programs emphasize strongly on sustainable tourism. Eco Adventures has established a collaboration with leading International Environmental, Educational and Non-profit organizations with the sole purpose of preparing Community Tourism and Joint venture activities. Through these programs, Eco Adventures Ltd. offers study opportunities for Student groups & Researchers alike, in fields of cultural and environmental education, working with various Field Study Centers across East Africa.
These programs encourage participants to gain an understanding of the connection existing between human activities and the environment. A diverse range of hands-on activities provide a balance overview of ecological and human interactions in the Kenyan environment. Students are further encouraged to recognize the similarities between environmental and social issues in the field centers and those in their own homes. In doing so, their African experience becomes directly applicable to themselves and to their own lives.
The focal Study Center is The Maasai Centre - located 225 km south of Nairobi, Kenya - midway between Tsavo and Amboseli National Park. The Center is within a view of Africa's highest Mountain - Kilimanjaro and neighbours the Kimana Wildlife Sanctuary, the first community operated wildlife reserve in Kenya.
At The Maasai Center, the best instructors are the local Maasai hosts and nature itself!
Consequently most of the activities occur outdoors in the local community and environment. Participants learn by taking an active part in their own education. The Programs combine ecology, community interaction, cross-cultural activities and personal time into a well balanced and entertaining experience.
Programs can also be arranged for Family or Adult groups. A typical program would include:
- Guided walks in the Kimana Wildlife Sanctuary and parts of the Group Ranch.
- Visits to Maasai Manyatta (villages) to experience the traditional way of life.
- Interactions with local schools and students.
- A day of activities at a local market place at the foot of Mt. Kilimanjaro.
- Safari to the nearby Amboseli National Park.
The Eco Adventures Field Study Programs are a community oriented environmental education initiative in Kenya and serving to :
- Enhance environmental awareness locally, nationally and internationally.
- Explore options for improved use of the natural resources base in order to assist communities in broadening their development opportunities.
The Maasai Centre also overseas the following projects:
- "Adopt a School" links Kenyan Schools with an international counterpart. Students become penpals and exchange information about cultures and lifestyles and participating in small fund raising projects.
- Community projects at the "Kuku Group Ranch" such as a library, water projects and a community endowment fund assist in local education and development.
- Research and Volunteer Opportunities for Students.